North Park Orienteering 2017


WPOC event:  North Park 5/21/17 – Red Course





Stats – Time: 2:01:41; Distance – 9.46 Km (7.0Km as the crow flies); 293m elevation gain.

The nice thing about this course was that although the controls themselves were relatively easy to find, almost every leg involved crucial route choices.

For the most part, the GPS track speaks for itself.

#1 was located at the entrance of a foot underpass below the busy road. I remembered this from last year, and thus was able to avoid attacking from above, through almost impenetrable vegetation, and circled from the lawn.

#2 – Traversed the underpass and attacked from the lawns west of the road. The other route choice would have been to go back south and cross the busy road closer to the control. Did not seem as safe.

#3 – Chose to cut through the trail system to the main road. The other option was a longer, but surer roundabout route on the main road from the get-go.

#4 – Used the northbound curving trail to bypass the dense vegetation, and then cut to the nearer, shallower reentrant through the open forest on the spur, rather than reaching its bottom on the trail and climbing back up.

#5 – Cut in an almost straight line through spurs and reentrants to the open and the main road. There were several options from there, including around the hill on the roads to the south or north, but the hill did not look intimidating, so I decided to cut through its peak to the spur. That’s when I made an error in judgment. While the more disciplined choice would have been to take a bearing and pace count from the very top, I did neither, reasoning that I will just walk the elongated peak and identify the spur to my left. Only, the spur was quite indistinct, especially with the dense vegetation, so I circled around a bit and had to approximate my location to locate the control. Indeed, even at the control itself, you could not tell the spur. ~3 minutes lost.

#6 – Cut through the treed lawns and parking lot to the underpass.

#7 – I opted for the contouring trail system on the north, to avoid an unnecessary up and down. From the sharp bend in the trail there was a deer-path, if not a bona fide trail heading in the direction of the control. However, when it reached a slight branch block, I made the mistake of trying to find a more open route and climbed up to an open spot, only to find it walled off by impenetrable vegetation. So, I went back to the deer path and crossed through the blocking branches. At this point, I lost pace count, and was confronted with the problem that while there was only one spring on the map, there were at least 3 trickles, i.e, evidence of higher springs, on the hillside, sending me in futility up each one to look for the spring. Then I realized that all were much higher than where the mapped spring should be, and simultaneously saw Jerry Agin heading towards the side of the hill from across the lower reentrant just in front of where I was. The control was indeed in a spring/deep depression just there. With all of these micro errors, this leg took me 15.5 minutes.

#8 – Took the lower route around, following the fence that bordered the big industrial yard/building below. Reached the ride/reentrant junction. The correct bearing headed towards dense vegetation, so I circled left of it, and at about the correct pace count, when the slope started to become too steep for comfort anyhow, looked around and saw the control smack to my right.

#9 – Climbed up to the trail. I intended for a straighter route, but apparently lost my bearing. From the trail, it was an easy route across the baseball field.

#10 – Through the roads and trails. Initially, my eyes misconstrued the two parallel power lines and the open in between them on the map for a paved road. When I reached the marked abandoned shelter, and saw the actual power lines, I stood corrected. An easy bearing from the shelter. Based on the gps track, I think the control was at the bend of the more southern stream (dashed blue line), not where marked on the map.

#11 – Cut through the main road. Midway on the road, heavy rain started to pour, and did not ease until the end. Near the intersection, looked up and saw the abandoned shelter (covered by the gps track). I opted to cut through the open forest, rather than the semi-open treeless strip, for both some protection from the rain and to avoid wetting my clothes in the waist high shrubs of the semi-open (that did not work, I was soaked at the end regardless). From the shelter, I continued up through the edge of the open forest until the lawn, and from lawn’s edge I took a quick bearing to the control.

#12 ­– Almost straight line across the open and down to the main road. Control was in a road-paralleling reentrant/ditch, just left of where I hit the main.

#13 – NE on the main road in torrential rain. Motocross time trails held in the out-of-bound area N of the road. Crossed the road and went down to the control.

F – Back on the runaround paved road.

I was initially leery of going out on the course, as my ankle sprain did not completely heal from the Stokesville Rogaine 2 weeks earlier.  Eventually, it was not that bad. My ankle handled uphills, downhills and contouring just fine. It did start to hurt, though, at about the 6K mark. I am guessing the main problem is probably a contused weight-bearing ligament, which is still sensitive to prolonged pounding. However, it seems to be on the mend.

Comments